Business and Investment Development Agency


The most frequent questions and answers regarding the border crossing and the current measures against the spread of the coronavirus

The most frequent questions and answers regarding the border crossing and the current measures against the spread of the coronavirus Source: Adobe Stock

Questions posed mostly by businesspeople are answered by specialists from the Ministry of Industry and Trade, CzechInvest, CzechTrade and other organisations and ministries via a special information line and e-mails.


Q: We need to replenish the stock of goods in our store with food products from abroad. Do I need to have some sort of official stamp or permit?

A: An exemption for international haulage relates to drivers of freight vehicles. When crossing the border, it is necessary to use the designated border crossings. This applies to vehicles with an N1 or N2 technical permit.

When crossing the border, it is necessary to substantiate
      a) that this involves a category-N vehicle (e.g. technical permit).
      b) that this involves haulage carried out in connection with the haulage provider’s business, whether for its own needs or the needs of a separate entity (e.g. in the form of a bill of lading, invoice or order).
      c) the relationship of the person driving the vehicle to the haulage provider (in the form of an employment contract or confirmation for international haulage workers).
      d) extract from the trade-license register. More information is available on the websites of the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of the Interior.


Q: I have an ongoing contract in Germany in a location that is approximately 120 km by road, straight-line distance of 98 km, and I need to go there with my employees from the Czech Republic. Can I cross the border and return to the Czech Republic?

A: Yes, you can. An exemption applies to citizens of the Czech Republic and foreigners with a temporary or permanent residence who regularly cross international borders (for the purpose of cross-border work, commuters) working within 100 km of the border have an exemption.

Distance is calculated as a straight line from the national border.

It is possible to cross the border only at certain border crossings; other restrictions may be stipulated by neighbouring countries.

Locations designated for crossing the border:

I. Austria Road: Dolní Dvořiště – Wullowitz České Velenice – Gmünd Hatě – Kleinhaugsdorf Mikulov – Drasenhofen

II. Germany Road: Strážný - Phillippsreut Pomezí nad Ohří - Schirnding Rozvadov-dálnice - Waidhaus Folmava – Furth im Wald/Schafberg Železná Ruda – Bayerisch Eisenstein

Krásný Les - Breitena H. Sv. Šebetiána – Reitzenhain

Other designated border-crossing locations for persons who demonstrably cross the border on a regular basis, particularly cross-border workers and other persons, in the period from 5:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.:

I. Austria Road: Vratěnín – Oberurnau Valtice – Schrattenberg Nová Bystřice – Grametten Hevlín – Laa an der Thaya

II. Germany Road: Všeruby – Eschlam Jiříkov – Neugersdorf Vojtanov –Schönberg Cínovec - Altenberg


Q: Our foreign workers on assignment are ending their stay in the Czech Republic. Can they travel during the state of emergency when their assignment terminates?

A: Yes, foreigners can leave the Czech Republic.


Q: I need to get employees of the company – citizens of the Czech Republic – to Sweden to work on a commission there. They have temporary residence and health and social insurance in Sweden. Do any exemptions from the travel ban apply to them?

A: Yes, citizens of the Czech Republic with a verifiable residence permit in another country have an exemption from the travel ban.


Q: A pig insemination facility needs to distribute semen to Austria, Germany, Italy and Romania. Because the semen is transported in a small refrigerator, it is carried in a passenger car. Is that possible or not?

A: The exemption applies to international haulage; the vehicle must be designated as category N in the technical permit. This exemption will therefore not apply in this case. The exemption for commuters may apply to them if they cross the border on a verifiably regular basis; the 100 km limit

applies in this case (for commuters, see above. They also need a statement from their employer, which is available for download from the website of the Ministry of the Interior).


Q: I need to pick up a family member from an airport in a neighbouring country. Am I allowed to do that?

A: With respect to the restrictions connected with the state of emergency, such situations are subject to an exemption and travel from and to the Czech Republic is possible upon presentation of an airline ticket or boarding pass; however, you may encounter other restrictions upon entering neighbouring countries. Therefore, the easiest solution is to travel directly to the airport in the Czech Republic.


Q: Foreign employees have arrived at the employer, but due to restrictions on operation of facilities, they can cannot carry out registration of their residence following their arrival or set up an appointment for providing biometric data. How should they proceed?

A: If foreigners are already present in the Czech Republic, they will not be penalised for not carrying out mandatory registration within the statutory period. Facilities of the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy are not currently setting appointments for registration and biometrics. If it is necessary for such foreigners to enter into employment prior to the repeal of the current restrictions, pleas contact CzechInvest at


Q: My minor child is returning to the Czech Republic from the United States via Vienna, where I want to pick him up, which means returning to the Czech Republic (quarantine).

A: You can pick up a family member at an airport in Austria. At the border, present the family member’s airline ticket, boarding pass or, as the case may be, other document confirming the family member’s incoming flight. Upon your return to the Czech Republic, you will be subject to the obligation of citizens returning from high-risk countries, i.e. you must telephone your general practitioner, who will decide on quarantine.


Q: Can goods be picked up in Austria?

A: Yes, but only if any of the exemptions from the travel ban apply to you, i.e. this involves international freight transport (category-N vehicle, substantiation with a bill of lading, delivery note, extract from the trade-license register, etc. See above) or the exemption for commuters applies to you.


Q: I am returning to the Czech Republic via an airport in a high-risk country. Am I subject to quarantine?

A: You do not have to undergo mandatory quarantine if you are flying from a non-risk country and you are only transferring to a connecting flight in the high-risk country and you remain in the TRANSIT regime.

We use cookies to ensure optimal functioning of our website. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here